Saturday, November 29, 2008

nightgaunt, nightgaunt


I have college essays due for the early decision deadline on Monday. I haven't started them actually. Sometimes being a type B personality is really, really horrible. I'm not procrastinating, I'm just...uninspired. Right? I've been staying up all night playing bass wishing, just wishing, I was as cool as Kim Deal. (the staying up all night is mostly contributed to the fact that I just started drinking black coffee...and a lot of it) I went to the mall on black Friday, not exactly sure why. I didn't buy anything. I also realized that I am in fact a very bad driver. Several people appeared to be quite upset and communicated this through the use of a certain hand gesture. Such angry faces...


I think I'm gonna ask my mom to get me this for christmas. Keep it on the mantel above the fireplace, yanno? I think it'd be a nice addition to the home decor...

I'm a scatterbrain.

5 comments:

theteach said...

You make me smile because your comments remind me of my efforts to find a college that would accept me. I applied to one school. I signed up for SAT and did nothing more. I was accepted by that one school, so I canceled taking the SAT.

I do not know what I would have done if I had not been accepted. At the time I applied for college, I don't think there was such a thing as early decision. Maybe there was, but I did not know about it. ;)

If you do not apply for early decision, you still can apply within the regular time frame, correct?

Zeus. said...

I feel your college pain. I've been putting things off and I know I shouldn't. :[

Who is Kim Deal? (I could look this up on the internet, but I'd like to know also why she's so inspiring as to mention her in your post)

The Monk said...

Teach, I'm the college expert, since I make college stuff a sport:

6 applications (and counting)!

5 SAT's (3 Reasoning and two rounds of Subject Tests)!

To answer your question, generally if a school has an early decision option, it also has a regular decision option as well. Early decision allows the student to a) get it over with and b) increase the likelihood of acceptance and scholarship awards (since the schools have most of their spots and scholarships open, theoretically the college shouldn't be as thrifty in handing them out). The schools also like to fill up their class early on. Many schools make an acceptance in an early decision binding--if you get in, you must withdraw all your other acceptance offers, or else bad things will happen.

Cacophony, I also feel your pain. I am, as we speak, ignoring several short answer portions on one application...because the questions are so stupid...and yet I pay them money to read my answers.

theteach said...

Monk, where are you applying?

The Monk said...

Teach, I'm avoiding working on an AP Language project, so I am reading online articles at The New York Times and responding to comments from one month and eight days ago.

The college list includes seven schools, considerably more than planned, due to bouts of paranoia and panicking:

[In no particular order...]

Ramapo College of New Jersey
Seton Hall University
Drew University
The College of New Jersey
New York University
The Richard Stockton College of New Jersey [kudos for the longest name]

The seventh is another school in New Jersey, but I refuse to say or write it in public, lest I 1) jinx myself and 2) indicate my transcendent egotism and arrogance. Henceforth I will refer to it as The School That Shall Not Be Named (TSTSNBN).